What is the first thing that comes in your mind after hearing India? Colorful and joyful life! Yes, it is true and festivals in India make it more beautiful and enjoyable. It is well-known that India is a country of fairs and festivals, Dussehra is one of them. These festivals are a reason to celebrate with your family and spent time together happily with them. In India, Dussehra is a noteworthy festival that comes usually in October. Dussehra is the tenth day of Navratri.
Why Dussehra is celebrated?
Dussehra is a Hindu festival. In this festival, people celebrate Lord Rama’s victory over demon Ravana. This festival is considered as the victory of good over evil. Lord Rama is considered as the incarnation of Lord Vishnu according to Hindu Mythology. There are two stories behind the celebration of this festival.
Stories Behind Dussehra:-
However you can read the whole story behind the celebrations of this festival in Hindu’s holy book “Ramayana”, but we will try to sum-up it for you. Demon Ravana – The King of Lanka (Now known as Sri Lanka) carried-off the beautiful wife of Lord Rama. Her name was Sita. On this day Lord Rama killed the Ravana and won her wife back. Goddess Sita was kept in Sri Lanka by Ravana for a period of 11 months and 14 days.
According to the second story on this day, Goddess Durga killed the demon Mahishasura. Mahishasura had a boon of not killed by Gods and Men. This demon was mad with his powers and wanted immortality. After analyzing the entire situation Lord Brahma, Vishnu and Shiv gave birth to goddess Durga. And finally, goddess Durga killed him on this day.
When Is Dussehra?
Date of Dussehra in 2019 – 8th October (Tuesday)
For How Many Days Dussehra Is Celebrated?
Dussehra is not a one-day festival. In India, people celebrate this holy festival for 10 days full of joy and happiness. The festival is celebrated just before the Hindu festival Diwali. Both festivals are quite relatable to each other. Dussehra starts from Navratri means nine nights and the tenth day is celebrated as Dussehra.
How People Celebrate Dussehra?
In India, Dussehra is celebrated in different ways. On this day people are full of enjoyment and amusement. They burn the effigies of Ravana and celebrate by burning crackers. They usually do so to signify the defeat of evil Ravana. In India the Dussehra is a highly auspicious day, everyone comes home on this occasion. If you are also one of them who works out of town or out of the country then book your flights today to avoid the hassle, because this is the peak time when people will be coming back to home. You can book your flights to India online on Flydealfare. If you could not book your flight on time then there is also an option of booking last minute flight ticket to India. But it is always good to pre-book the flight when you are sure about going home. No matter how much are you earning, the joy of being with family and celebrating festivals altogether is something that can’t be beaten by anything. People in India celebrate Dussehra in different ways; everyone has their way to celebrate Dussehra.
- Some people like to pray Lord Rama, Lord Hanumana, Lord Lakshmana and Goddess Sita at their homes or in temples.
- Some people like to burn firework and enjoy dancing around the fire.
- People make various cuisines and deserts at their home in the night.
- Besides, people give sweets to their relatives and neighbours.
Even if you are not a native of India, you can celebrate this festival and enjoy a lot. You will get to know about the Indian cultures, beliefs and history. If you are planning a trip to India then this can be the best time to book flights to India. First of all, it would be more joyful than a normal trip, and you will also get special offers on the flights. There are several offers on flight tickets in this festival season.
Best Place to Celebrate Dussehra in India:-
However, Dussehra is celebrated in almost every part of India but there are some places which are famous for Dussehra celebrations.
- In India Dussehra of Kullu is world-famous.
- Besides that in West Bengal also this day is celebrated colourfully and grandly. People celebrate Durga Puja on this day. DurgaPooja is celebrated gloriously in Kolkata.
- Mysore is also famous for Dussehra celebrations. You will see thousands of lights during this festival. The noise of amusing holy songs will make you full of energy.
- Delhi is also famous for Dussehra celebrations in India. In Delhi, Dussehra would be a dramatic and most entertaining festival.
- Gujarat is the next famous place for Dussehra celebrations.
Things That You Can Enjoy In Dussehra:-
- If you are celebrating in Gujrat then Garba dance is something that you must not miss. Garba is a folk dance in which people dance with multicolour sticks. For this dance people especially wear colourful attires.
- Ram Leela is the next interesting thing to watch during Dussehra in India. If you are someone who loves to explore different cultures then you must watch this play for nine days. You will get to know about the whole story behind this festival. Delhi is famous for its Ram Leela.
- In Tamil Nadu, people celebrate this festival by worshipping Goddess Lakshmi, Durga and Saraswati. Besides that, there is a tradition of offering nuts, coconuts and money to others.
After knowing all this you are not going to miss the chance of visiting India for Dussehra. Book your flights to India online now on Flydealfare.