Indian citizens do not need any visa to travel to India, but when the travelers of the other countries are planning to visit India, they need a visa. Visa is a travel document that is issued by the traveler’s citizenship country.
The purpose of your intended travel and other facts will explain what type of visa is applicable for you. But when you want to travel India for the purpose of working in India an ‘EMPLOYMENT VISA’ is needed.
An Employment Visa is provided to an employee or paid intern traveling to India for volunteer work with a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO). So, follow the steps that are given below for a detailed understanding of what are the requirements of India Employment visa for US Citizens.
How to Apply for an Employment Visa:
The nature of travel to India depends upon the Indian visa requirements. These include completion of your application form, place your current photograph and attach all the other relevant documents with your form. Then, submit it to the closest service center.
Visit the Indian Government site for an Indian Employment visa and click on the “Regular Visa Application” button.
After clicking, Online Visa Application form will open. Follow the site instruction to fill out the form with the required information in the fields.
Step 3: Photographs:
When it is completed, print the form, sign it, date it and attach the official passport photos in the required field.
- Do not attach the same photograph on VISA application form that is already in your passport. Attach the current photograph.
- The photograph that you are going to affix on the application form should be square shaped or 2 by 2 inches in size. But do not staple and tape the photographs. It must be in color.
- You can also upload a photo, instead of providing physical passport photos.
Step 4: Proof of state residency:
Attach the proof of address with your application and the accepted documents include a photocopy of the following:
- A clear photocopy of the applicant’s driver’s license or state-issued ID is the best proof of address.
- The address on the ID must be matched with the address on the visa application.
- You can also attach the photocopy of the most recent major utility bill like Water, Gas, Electric, or a copy of a valid/current lease containing the signature of landlord and tenant.
Step 5: Other General Information:
- Make sure that everything you mention in the application form is correct. Select the “Verified and Continue” option for the further information.
- After the verification and submission of application form, you will see a confirmation box that includes the Applicant Name and File Number.
- The Indian Embassy does not permit any application that has filled with incorrect information. Handwritten corrections also are not accepted.
- If the information on the application form needs to be corrected after the print, it is necessary to apply for a new online application form.
You can also pay your visa fee online. Note that if you apply in person, you can pay visa fee in cash or through money order at the time of your appointment.
Step 7: Submit your application
Make an appointment at the India visa center and submit your application if you are applying for a person. You can also mail the application form with your passport and the other required documentation to the specified address.
Step 8: Track the status:
Track the status of your application on the website. Visas typically take seven to nine employment days to process and return.
Other India Employment Visa Requirements:
Appointment Letter: This letter will certify the position, nature, duration, and salary of the applicants in the company. So, make sure you have the appointment letter.
Contract: You also have a copy of complete employment contract. And make sure it contains the details of the salary agreement and the signature of both the parties.
Resume: You must have your current resume.
Organization Registration: A proof of the organization that is registered in India, is needed to make sure that the letter is provided by the Indian employer or company.
Tax Liability Letter: Make sure that you have the tax liability letter from the Indian company. It certifies that the Indian company should take responsibility for paying taxes on behalf of you.
Employment Details Form: You should have one complete Employment Detail Form.
An India Employment Visa is eligible to the following:
- The one who are coming to India as consultant/coaches/ teachers/interpreters/specialist and for the commissioning of equipment/machines/tools or for execution of a project/contractor.
- Self-employed visitors coming to India for offering the engineering, accounting, legal, medical or such other highly skilled services to the Indian customers.
- Senior management personnel and/or specialists employed by foreign firms who are relocated to India to work on specific project/management assignment.
- Those who want short visits to customer location to repair plan/machinery as part of a warranty or annual maintenance contracts.
- Those who are traveling to India for volunteer work with a Non-governmental organization (NGO) must apply for an India Employment Visa.
Conditions of Granting:
The conditions over Employment Visa:
- The applicant should be a highly skilled and qualified who is appointed by an organization.
- The Employment visa is not for routine, ordinary or secretarial/clerical jobs.
- The employment must either be in a company/firm/organization registered in India or in a foreign company/firm/organization engaged for execution of some project in India.
- The employee’s salary must be in lakhs per year. This condition is not for the:
- Ethnic cooks
- Language teachers/ translators
- Staff working for the concerned Embassy/High Commission in India.
- The name of the sponsoring employer and organization should be clearly mentioned in the visa sticker.
- A foreign company/organization that does not yet have any Project office/subsidiary/joint venture/branch office in India cannot sponsor a foreign national/employee of a foreign company for an Employment Visa.
Your spouse or any dependent family members can accompany you through ‘Employment Visa’, not with the Tourist or Entry Visa.
Employment Visa India Processing Time:
- The time period of an Employment Visa is same as the duration of your work in India.
- A technician may get an Employment Visa for a period of 5 years or the duration of the agreement between India and the foreign government.
- Highly skilled personnel of the IT software can get a visa for up to 3 years or the term of assignment.
- Others can get an Employment Visa with validity up to 2 years or the term of assignment.
- Validity of Employment Visa will start from the date of visa issuance, not from the date of entry into India
Further extension of this visa is up to 5 years from the date of issue of the Initial Employment Visa on an annual basis.
India Employment Visa cost:
The applicant can pay the fee according to the visa validity. Firstly, complete the Global Reservation Form and make sure that the same number of months is selected on both forms.
So, here we provide the mandatory information about how to apply for an Employment visa to India from the USA. All you have to do is to read the instruction, requirements, the validity of the visa, etc. and make your trip easy.