Recently, as new rules have been put in place for taking powders in hand luggage, flyers leaving Abu Dhabi International airport are also going through tighter screenings.
Etihad Airways has announced that it has going to ban powdery items from hand luggage and will apply new rules on carry-on bags to select destinations. Passengers are now prohibited from packing in carry-on certain powdered substances.
Items Covered By Rules:
- The items that are restricted to carry are talcum powders, salt, sand, powdered deodorants, detergent powders, food powders and cleaning products.
- The items that are exempted from the ban are all organic powders like powdered food, powdered baby formula, coffee, protein powder, spices, flour, most cosmetics, sugar, Epsom salts, prescription and non-prescription medicines (including special dietary products).
- Medical items are also exempted. Passenger has supporting documents to carry them such as a valid letter from a doctor.
Banned Some Items From Hand Luggage That Are Subject To Restrictions Include:
- Cleaning products
Etihad announced and said powders that exceed 350 ml, 250 grams or 12 ounces are banned from the cabins in flights bound to the US. Any item exceeding the limit may be placed in checked baggage.
These items are bound to Australia and the United States (US). These new rules are enhanced after the new safety regulations are made by US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and the Australian government.
Earlier, Emirates had announced that it is tightening screenings of hand luggage, particular powdered products
The Following Items Are Exempted:
- Medically prescribed powder substances including baby formula and cremated human remains provided they are sealed, not tampered and have supporting evidence.
- Duty-free items in “security tamper evident” bags purchased at Duty-Free after clearing US Customs and Border Protection in Abu Dhabi International Airport.
- Restrictions on carrying “inorganic” powders inside the aircraft cabin are also in effect, for Australia-bound passengers. Placed the Substances of 350 ml, 350 grams or 12 ounces in checked baggage.